Taking proper care of your teeth should be a standard part of anyone’s healthcare routine. Poor oral care can lead to all kinds of other health problems, whereas taking proper care of your smile can help you to look after your dental health and keep your teeth looking good. A healthy smile is easier to keep white too. Here are the top tips you need to know to care for your teeth.
Image – free for commercial use
- Never go to bed before brushing your teeth. Dentists recommend that you brush your teeth at least twice a day, but some of us miss out brushing our teeth at night. You must always brush before bed, as this cleats away germs and plaque that has built up over the day.
- Brush correctly. The way you brush is important. Brushing in the wrong way is almost as bad as not brushing at all. Move the toothbrush gently in a circular motion over your teeth to remove any plaque. Take your time. Plaque that is left on the teeth can harden, leading to gum disease.
- Clean your tongue. Plaque can build up on your tongue as well as on your teeth. Plaque on the tongue leads to bad breath and other problems. To stop this, gently brush your tongue every time you brush.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste. Lots of us look for things like whitening when we’re choosing a toothpaste, but you should always be searching for fluoride when making your choice. Fluoride is an important defense against tooth decay. It works by battling the germs that lead to decay and creates a protective barrier for your teeth.
- Remember that flossing is as essential as brushing. Even those who brush as often as they should sometimes forget to floss. Flossing isn’t only for removing pieces of leftover food that has got stuck between the teeth. In fact, flossing is also a way to stimulate the gums, reduce plaque buildup and lower inflammation around the gums. Floss once a day to enjoy these benefits.
- Find a solution to flossing difficulties. Some people find flossing hard, especially young children or adults with arthritis. Instead of deciding not to floss, look for tools that can help you to floss with ease. Drugstore tools such as ready to use dental flossers can really help.
- Use mouthwash. Some people skip using a mouthwash as they aren’t aware of what one is supposed to do. Mouthwash helps you in three main ways. It lowers the amount of acid in your mouth, remineralizes your teeth and cleans around areas that are tricky to reach with your toothbrush and floss. They should not be used as a replacement for brushing but can be a useful tool alongside brushing to keep your mouth as healthy as possible. Mouthwash can be helpful for those who might not be achieving optimal brushing, like children or the elderly, to help keep their mouths in better health.
Caring for your oral health is very important and should be a priority. Find out more at Ten Dental, and learn how good oral health can boost your overall health, giving you a healthy, shiny smile that you can be proud of.